30 September 2007

half a century









Cinquante...funfzig...vijftig...fifty...


It doesn't matter what language it is written or spoken in, fifty is fifty. Yup, I've hit the half-century mark in my life.

I wonder where the time went? In my heart and in my actions, I am not this age my birth certificate professes me to be. I look in the mirror and sometimes wonder who it is that stares back at me. I am the teacher who plays basketball, hopscotch, and tether ball with her students (I didn't say I played with grace or played well...I just play). I am the mother who goes on roller coasters with her daughter or down water slides that push the shorts up the legs to the point of indecency (I don't go without an internal struggle...I don't like fast or high...but I go). I am the woman to whose house children come to play in the mud, make cookies, catch night crawlers in the garden, eat nasturtium flowers fresh off the plants, and draw master pieces with chalk on the sidewalk.

Happy birthday to me!

**Like the high school '70's look? I still shiver (and not in a good way) when I hear the words "leisure suit."

5 comments:

krisknit79 said...

Happy late Birthday! I just had one on the 27th myself :)

Tournesol said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope you had a great day and many more to come.

Sunflowerfairy said...

Happy Birthday to you, indeed.

Fifty is wonderful! I can't wait to get there.

Sandy said...

Gosh I'm behind! Happy birthday! Love the girl Scout Pic!

Unknown said...

Gah! I'm so behind in blog reading. Happy belated birthday! Mine was the 28th.

I subbed in a kindy class (which was the only - note the "was" - level that actually scared me) two consecutive days last week. It was wonderful! The teacher was amazing and had spent that important time at the start to set up expectations and routines. It was rejuvenating and refreshing.